- 1 chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- 1 16oz bag of lentils, rinsed (I used green lentils but you can use whichever type you prefer)
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 4 C vegetable broth
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp sriracha sauce
- Juice from one lemon
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Add all of the ingredients, minus the lemon juice and parsley, to your slow cooker. Mix well, Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. See notes for tips on slow cooking lentils.
- Once the soup is done cooking, mix in the fresh lemon juice. Ladle into bowls or serve over rice. Garnish with fresh parsley.
If your slow cooker runs hot, you will not need to cook for the full 8-10 hours. If your slow cooker does not run hot, you will probably need to cook for the full 8-10 hours. Try not to overcook as the lentils could get mushy if overcooked, especially green lentils. Brown lentils tend to hold up better. I used green and they turned out just fine.
To make this a vegan dish, omit the chicken.
I found this recipe while I was looking for something to do with the bag of lentils that had been sitting in my cupboard for a while. It’s wonderfully flavored and very filling. It’s a new favorite of mine.
Found at the excellent This Gal Cooks